Well here we have it! Ben Cook in color! Painted with a mix of alizarin crimson and french ultramarine. I decided to stick to this one color and focus on tone, things were getting pretty messy with the last portrait painting I did. I found it quite difficult taking everything into consideration while painting someones face. Drawing with a pencil, value can be attained by simply pressing harder or softer, shading things in. Painting on the other hand, excluding hue, requires mixing appropriate portions of paint A and paint B to achieve a single tone, hopefully matching the tone of the area you wish to paint. For now, I will stick to one color while painting faces, see how I do, and add colors from there.
Tomorrow I will try painting myself from a black and white photograph I took a few months back. "A self portrait", you ask. I don't think it counts, even though it is a portrait of myself. Self portraits are more about what you see when you look at yourself in a mirror, what you look like to you. The painting I will be doing is more like a still life work. Looking at the photo, and painting. Its the difference between seeing a photo of someone, and actually seeing someone. I don't believe people really looked like they do in a photograph. A picture is worth 1000 words right? Could you be described in 1000 words?
Hey thats really good! Miss you buddy hope all is well see you in November!
ReplyDeleteShit leighton. i didn't know you could paint. :) i didn't get a chance to chat it up with you when your were here. My mom said you were working at a coffee shop there, and have a school visa? how does that work? you see im really intrested in traveling too and your guts to just go out into the world like you have is really inspiring to me so thanks. talk to me cousin cause your just so darn awsome. haha
ReplyDelete-amy