Its me! Everything went well with this painting except for the eyes. I wiped and restarted the eyes 3 or 4 times in an effort to get it right, but finally settled on not painting them all together. Instead I slapped a pair of sunnies over my sad looking eyeballs and called it good. I enjoy painting landscapes much more than people. Unfortunately the weather and my new job have been preventing me from going on painting missions around Sydney. Without the constant change of environment that comes with travel, I have begun to feel a lack of stimulation (to paint). But maybe I've just been busy. I think I have a few days off next week. Perhaps I'll mission to Palm Beach and paint something from Barrenjoey Head. We'll see.
I havn't done much apart from work and work related study lately. Sounds terrible, but it really hasn't been that bad. My hours in the day are spent at work in the cafe, attending barista school in the city, or at home eating at which time I read about coffee in online forums(A bit obsessive, I know!). It was just a few weeks ago that I realized how much I love the stuff. And not just at the drinking level. I really enjoy the science and technique behind it all, from pulling the espresso shot to steaming microfoamed milk. "How to make the perfect cuppa?" is the question I want to answer. Back home, Espresso coffee never seemed to be that big but out here, Wow!. Just about every restaurant in Australia is equipped with an espresso machine --you would have to look far and wide to find a place that served drip coffee. Down under, everyone loves espresso coffee, and from that spirals the world of a barista. It is our job to serve a better cup of coffee than the other cafes. Even if we use the same beans as them, it comes down to technique and style which varies from cafe to cafe and produces a difference you can taste in the coffee.
It's been a long week thinking about coffee but TGIF and the weekend is here! Tomorrow night I'll be heading to the Sydney Swans' last footy match with a good mate and a few cold ones!
No comments:
Post a Comment