Welcome

Hello,

This once travel/painting blog has molded into my Australia blog. I came out to Australia to make something of myself, and that is what I plan to do. Feel free to follow me on this journey.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Shipie's Blue Hour


Here we have a painting that was done from a photograph my friend, Francois Desard, took of me in Tasmania at Shipstern Bluff. We had to get up real early to catch the famous wave when all the right conditions applied. Two hours hiking time also had to be taken into consideration before we left which meant if things weren't just right, it would be a two hour hike back as well. We had been on this track many times prior, in search of the perfect wave, however this time we spent the majority of the trek in darkness and wouldn't be leaving empty handed. Arriving before the sun had risen above the ocean's horizon, we found ourselves speechless with what the morning light awakened. A naples glow from the submerged sun began to fill our atmosphere slowly giving the land its coarse definition. With each eager footstep, we familiarized ourselves to the rock as we maneuvered around boulders toward Shipie's point. Francois hung back to set up his camera while I had ventured on to bask in the power of the ocean. It was then, while I stared into the deep blue and out towards Bruny Island, that the photo was taken. I had a body board under my arm at the time but decided to paint the figure with a surf board because the short board's distinctive shape would be easier for the viewer to identify while keeping the theme much the same. A surfer and his wave.

Everett should be somewhere over the Pacific Ocean right about now, watching movies and being stuffed full of food during his 14 hour flight to Los Angeles. He just left this morning and I already miss him, we had some good times during the 6 weeks he spent out here. University will be starting for him shortly, which I'm sure will be exciting so he has a lot to look forward to. And I have a job now as a barista/smoothy maker for a Virgin Active Gym near where I live. With free coffee and gym membership, who could ask for more? Things are really looking up.

3 comments:

  1. Great picture, I'm almost home now... I'm in salt lake and I think I'm going to have to take one of those short planes to spokane, I hope it all goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leighton it sounds like you are having a great time, and are creating some great paintings as well. If you get a chance try to head up to Cairns or Townsville if you haven't already.
    Let me know if any Aussies down there need to quality swim coach.
    Cheers,
    James Foltz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you James! I definitely want to check out Townsville. After I make a bit of money I'd like to plan a road trip up the coast and spend some time between Brisbane and Cains.
    If I hear about any openings, I'll send them your way ;)

    ReplyDelete