Welcome

Hello,

This once travel/painting blog has molded into my Australia blog. I came out to Australia to make something of myself, and that is what I plan to do. Feel free to follow me on this journey.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

All Work and No Play is How Jack Saves Money


This is the same boat that was in the painting I did of the Harbor Bridge, composed from the sketches I made the day Everett and I went to Milsons point. Probably a month ago? In this painting I wanted to capture the freedom one gets from sailing so I exclude the Bridge and focused on the boat. I can remember now how envious I felt that day. Everett and I had just come from the crowded Saturday markets in The Rock's and were looking for refuge, someplace quiet (which is near impossible in Sydney). As this group slowly sailed by, I realized that they had found precisely what we were after. A piece of solitude in the heart of the city. I decided this would make an appropriate painting. But how could I portray this envious felling I had toward the group of sailors? In the painting I gave the city a fast, sloppy, dirty look to contrast the boats cool clan colors to achieve the same feeling I had back on Milsons point. I think I did alright. The painting brings me back to that moment however, It may just look like a boat to you.

Work is going well! This job supports me to the point that I don't ever have to buy food. Here is a typical day at work: I get up at 5 and bike to work, clocking in just before 6. Because I arrive so much earlier than anyone else, I usually have a chance to nibble a few bits and pieces for breakfast while setting up the cafe. I have a lunch break at noon accompanied by a free meal. And before leaving I usually take home a few sandwiches that didn't sell. The prefect for my dinner!(they would be thrown out anyway). I plan to live like this for the next few months until I have enough money saved to travel on. I still haven't decided weather or not I will get a student visa and stay another year or head home to see everyone. Its a tough decision. Luckily I have some time to debate.

No comments:

Post a Comment