Welcome

Hello,

This once travel/painting blog has molded into my Australia blog. I came out to Australia to make something of myself, and that is what I plan to do. Feel free to follow me on this journey.

Friday, July 9, 2010

Brissie!!



This is the beautiful view we had of Brisbane’s Victorian Bridge from a bench on Goodwill Bridge but I am somewhat frustrated with how it has turned out. It’s my tools that are getting to me! All I have with me are large brushes which have been working well for most of my paintings, however in this situation I could have really done with a few finely tipped ones to work in a bit of detail. There was also quite a lot happening in the scene and I’m afraid that in my attempt to simplify the picture I caused it to become a bit dull. Mostly it needs a good subject, perhaps a boat or two in the water and more or less emphasis and detail in the bridge/city area—depending on which I decide to be the subject. This is something I probably should have figured out before I started (Haha!). I plan to work more on it and will be sure to post an updated version of the painting when I feel it’s complete. Gosh! These city scenes are so frustrating with their enormous buildings equip with hundreds of tiny windows, roads running every which way and crowded waterways. Maybe I will stick to clouds and hills and faceless figures. On the contrary, I am proud of a painting I did yesterday at the Botanic Gardens. I painted a picture of a few boats in the warm sun but it will need a little playing with as well.

Everett and I went out tonight in search of a used bookstore. After an hour of searching the crowded streets of Brisbane’s CBD (these people never sleep!) we arrived at a lovely little back ally shop where I found an old book on landscape sketching and one on the basics of oil landscape paintings. I am hoping that by learning how to sketch properly, my trees might look more like trees and less like green blobs. Ah! I forgot to look for a small paintbrush while I was out!

Tomorrow we are checking out of Bunk Backpacker and making our way to Russell Island where we will be wwoofing for the next week or so. An Island! How cool is that! It’s has its own small community and I’m sure there will be heaps to paint. Our host, Dianne, sounds like a really nice woman but I’m mostly excited to just get out of the city. Fresh air!

No comments:

Post a Comment